I seriously cannot get enough of these healthy Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies. Trust me, these will not last long in your kitchen. After whipping up these Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies, I wanted to create a vegan, nut free option for you all. Plus, after my visit to SF, I was OBSESSED with tahini cookies from Blue Bottle Coffee.
You just need 9 simple ingredients + 20 minutes of your time to have these soft & gooey tahini ready for devouring with a cold glass of homemade almond milk (yes I am aware this is just slightlyy extra). 😉
For any of you not familiar with TAHINI, this is a great nut free alternative of ground SESAME SEEDS. I am a huge fan of tahini, and incorporate it into many recipes like this bomb Chocolate Chip TAHINI Banana Bread or to drizzle over a warm veggie packed buddha bowl. Not all tahini is created equal, and Soom Foods is one of my favorite brands to bake with, made with 100% pressed Ethiopian White Humera sesame seeds. If you have never cooked with tahini before, I highlyyy recommend you try it sometime – the sooner the better since you will never question how you waited so long to try this amazingly versatile ingredient.
Here’s what you will need:
- Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- Coconut Sugar
- Coconut Oil
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Extract
- Flax Meal
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Pink Salt (for sprinkling)
How to make a FLAX EGG to keep these cookies VEGAN:
Instead of eggs, I used the flax meal substitute. To make your very own flax egg simply mix:
1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water = 1 flax egg
Let this sit for at LEAST 5 min to thicken prior to mixing in & voilà! You have your vegan egg substitute. These use to intimidate me in baking, but they are incredibly simple to make and only require 5 minutes of your patience.
**1:1 substitute for eggs in any recipe**
- Preheat oven to 350 (do not forget this step to save you time once ingredients mixed)
- Make 2 vegan flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water) and let sit while you mix other ingredients.
- Mix WET & DRY ingredients SEPARATELY:
- Pour dry ingredients into wet bowl and mix thoroughly. The texture should be moist & gooey and sticking together with ease. If not, try adding a touch more water and tahini.
- Fold in 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips and mix thoroughly.
- Use normal spoon to scoop into even sized balls, and spread 2-3 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for ~12-13 minutes until golden.
- Cool & enjoy!
*The reason I recommend letting your coconut oil cool is because the heat can melt the chocolate chips in step 5 if too hot. Trust me on this one!*
Other COOKIE recipes you will LOVE:
- Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies – Grain, Refined Sugar, and Gluten Free