Looking for an easy & delicious weeknight dinner? Then look no further with these CHICKEN SAUSAGE & KALE PESTO SPAGHETTI SQUASH BOATS. These healthy dinner boats are a fun way to serve your meal, plus these boats gluten free, dairy free, and low carb!
Spaghetti squash is one of my absolute favorite pasta alternatives and it tastes SO GOOD. You can meal prep your squash on a Sunday to save time during the week to whip up a quick healthy, delicious meal.
The spaghetti squash boats were topped off with Al Fresco’s sundried tomato chicken sausage which pack extra protein and taste. Chicken sausage tends to be a kitchen staple of mine due to the ease of how quick you can prep and serve! All you have to do is slice your sausage and sauté for a couple of minutes until cooked through and slightly browned.
Ingredients in this recipe:
- 1 Package of Al Fresco Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Sausage – this adds extra flavor and protein into your meal. i love having this sausage on hand for quick and easy prep!
- Spaghetti Squash – my absolute favorite pasta alternative that is loaded with vitamins and nutrients. you can meal prep your squash ahead of time for read to make meals during the work week
- Cashew Kale Pesto – I get mine from Trader Joe’s which is so delicious with all clean and natural ingredients! You can substitute another pesto of choice if this pesto is not available to you.
- Sundried Tomatoes – sundried tomatoes trace back to Italy where they would dry out their tomatoes in the sun to preserve. these tomatoes have so much flavor and are loaded with antioxidants and Vitamin C!
- Hemp Seeds – these are plant based brown seeds from hemp plants. hemp seeds are a great addition to any meal as they are gluten free, keto friendly, and protein packed!
- Kale – a dark, leafy green and cruciferous vegetable. when able, I recommend going organic and buying unwrapped in plastic and taking the leaves off the stems for the best flavor! this superfood is loaded with Vitamin A, Folate, and tons of minerals.
- Avocado Oil – this oil is extracted from the pulp of avocados with a high smoke point (500°F). this is a MUCH healthier oil to use in your cooking v. canola oil which is an inflammatory that i highly recommend staying away from. Gluten and Soy Free.
- Garlic Powder – this spice adds some extra flavor to your dish and comes from dehydrated garlic. I recommend going organic as much as you can when purchasing spices.
Tools You Need:
How to Pesto Spaghetti Squash Boats:
- Chop spaghetti squash in half using your Chef’s Knife. This step can be challenging so be careful when slicing and make sure you have an extra sharp knife!
- Drizzle avocado oil over the squash and sprinkle with pink salt.
- Place squash halves face down on baking pan and bake at 400 for ~40 minutes.
- Let squash cool, scoop out center, and begin to use fork to shred squash.
- Mix the ‘spaghetti’ with your cashew kale pesto (I purchased mine from Trader Joe’s and you can mix with any pesto you have on hand)!
- Slice Al Fresco chicken sausage into coins. Sautee on medium heat skillet with avocado oil with kale. Season with pink salt and garlic powder.
- Mix in sundried tomatoes, chicken sausage, and kale into the pesto spaghetti squash.
- Serve mix in your squash ‘bowl’. Top off with sprinkled hemp seeds (for extra protein) and ENJOY!
Save on Instagram:
Be sure to check out other healthy dinners you will LOVE:
- Healthy Chicken Sausage Gnocchi Skillet (Ready in 10 Min)
- Creamy Paleo Alfredo Spaghetti Squash with Seared Scallops
Thank you Al Fresco for sponsoring this post! It means the world to me to partner with brands I love & believe in.